How To Make Great Thumbnails EASY
When your video pops up in someone's recommended feed, beat out the competition with a bright / exciting thumbnail. You gotta fight for them clicks!
- Take a screenshot of the most exciting part of your video
- Load it into a photo-editor (like Pixelmator or Photoshop)
- Zoom out to get an idea how it will look on the website (usually small)
- Boost the brightness and contrast so it pops!
- Add clear and legible text
- Put branding in the thumbnail (your face, logo, consistent font)
People (like me) are lazy. And we are more likely to read text if it is in a photo (just think of all those memes you see on Twitter and Facebook). So try to give people a full idea about what your video is about, by just looking at the thumbnail.
Have a clear, relevant and exciting screenshot, with big text. It has to pop out at very small sizes.